Seeking Ten-Minute Play Submissions for ‘Swipes: Tales of Online Dating.’
SALINE, MI–EncoreMichigan is sponsoring a short play festival entitled “Swipes: Tales of Online Dating.
The company will take submissions that will then be judged by our creative jury. The ten plays chosen will be performed in early November in Saline Michigan.
“The short play form is wonderful,” says Editor and Publisher of EncoreMichigan David Kiley. “The website is in need of some revenues to offset ongoing costs, and we thought this would be a great way to raise some funds, involve the community, have fun and bring some people to downtown Saline.
This is also a terrific way for new and budding playwrights, as well as established ones, to earn some recognition and see their work performed in front of an audience.
Here are the parameters and information for submissions.
- The play must be performed in approximately ten minutes.
- Submissions must be in by July 20.
- The ten plays chosen will be selected by August 15.
- Auditions/Casting to perform the plays will take place in mid to late August.
- If the writer also wishes to direct the play, indicate such on your submission. Otherwise, we will assign a director.
- The play should not involve more than four actors.
- The story must be about online dating at its core, experiences, vignettes, etc.
- Tickets to attend the festival will be $15, and will post after the casts are set.
- The creative jury will score each play, and a grand prize “Best Play In Show” will be awarded in the form of a $100 cash prize, a plaque and recognition as a Wilde Award Winner For Best Short Play.
- All playwrights will receive a certificate of merit for clearing the jury selection process and having their play performed, and receive recognition on EncoreMichigan.com.
- It is possible that we will have a sponsor that will underwrite the filming of the festival, which will then be available on Youtube.
- Playwrights can submit more than one play, and more than one play from the same playwright may be chosen. Selection is based on quality.
- All net proceeds will benefit the ongoing operations of EncoreMichigan, specifically to offset monthly server fees for the website and gas for reviewers to get to shows.
- Submissions should be emailed as a proof-read PDF to EncorePress@gmail.com by July 20 with “Swipes” in the Subject Heading. Make sure your name, email, phone number, play title and whether you plan to direct your own play is on the first page along with the Characters/age/gender of characters, etc.
- Playwrights so inspired are encouraged to submit stories that embrace diversity of all kinds–all races, genders, ages, LGBTQ characters.
- Any questions can be directed to Encorepress@gmail.com